Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Book Reflection Notes

After reading the book entitled, “How To Run Your Preschool,” I felt I gained a clearer understanding of what constitutes and how best to establish a high quality preschool. The book covers seven areas which include the teacher-student relationship; class size and teacher-student ratios; teacher professional growth; safety and health; working together with the parents; support for the teachers; and quality evaluation.

The most interesting area to me is the teacher-parent relationship. When my own children were entering preschool, I never felt comfortable talking to the teacher. And the teacher really didn’t try to seek a way to reach me. Of course I went to parent-teacher meetings, open house, did volunteer work here, and there. But I never had deep talks with any of the teachers. One likely reason is that English is my second language, and I lacked a certain confidence in discussing learning. However, since I am very tuned-in to my own children’s needs and how they learn, I think I could have found a way to reach out more. Still, I felt a big gap between me and the teachers. I always agree with teachers, my culture style has been to follow rather than challenge. The other thing I’ve realized in communicating with teachers is, basically, I’m afraid of them. And this dates back to my early student experiences in Maoist China, which was very authoritarian. Whenever preschool teachers have initiated talking to me my first reaction has been to assume there is a problem (i.e. that my boys have not behaved well). My approach has been that less means all is going well. After reading the chapter on working together with parents, I realize how important it is to build a good working relationship with the teachers inasmuch as education is about partnership. Kids gain when they see their parents involved in school, and working together with their teachers; the children will have positive altitudes towards the school, the teacher, authority and the community in general—a relationship based on trust and communication, a shared interest in improvement (as stakeholders), versus one based on fear. This encourages children to be more willing to learn. This aspect is also positive for parents, because we gain knowledge from teachers about child rearing generally. Schools also gain by having involved parents because schools can be more effective. When teachers better understand these a child’s family background it makes them more effective.

My goal now is to become a better preschool teacher. I will definitely reach out to parents as much as I can. I am interested in other cultures and open to multi-cultural parents, and taking the initiative to talk to them. I can only hope that parents will not have the same feelings I’ve had with respect to their view of teachers. I want them know that we are on same team, and need to support each other for the benefit of their children. Our shared purpose is to serve the family and their children better.

Another insightful area was the chapter that addressed a teacher’s relationship to the children, in particular a teacher’s role. In China, I did not attend preschool. In my view it was a top-down system, not interactive or communicative, but instead very formal and authoritarian. Teachers taught from the book, by the book. Children listened, followed instructions, obeyed without challenge, and practiced drills. Children were passive recipients of information disseminated by the teacher. We were afraid of our teachers, because teachers could punish students who did not listen. Conformity was an implied value taught to us. Teachers never wrote notes to parents telling them how well your child is doing. Good performance was expected and taken for granted. Teacher didn’t pay attention to building firm relationships with children at all. This book affirms that children do not learn until they have built good relationship with their teachers, until they feel they are loved, cared for, and safe: these are preconditions for the efficacies of learning. In order to build good relationships--as teachers--we must interact with children, talk to them, pay attention to them, find one-on-one time with each individual student each day, be it meal time, snack time, play time, circle time or reading time. Attention to our children, and a focus on their good aspects [not just negatives] are critically important.

Children are constructive learners who learn by doing, not just by listening to teachers or doing drills. While there are many various approaches, the fact is teachers are facilitators: we use “scaffolding” to help children learn. What we teach children should derive from life not just from books. The book mentioned the Montessori teaching style, or using questions to direct children. My own experience with my son in Montessori preschool would tend to affirm that the book makes a good suggestion. I will definitely apply some of these methods in my own teaching career.

Finally, the book stresses the importance of a teacher’s education and continuing education. Most do not view ‘preschool teacher’ as a bonafide profession, and this is true even of k-12 teachers. Many initially think preschool teachers are similar to babysitters.

The book makes clear that to be a qualified teacher, there is much to learn and keep learning, including foundational theories, strategies, and practice. Lifelong learning never ends. Society is ever-changing, children’s environments are changing, context is changing, new theories are added, old theories amended, and as teachers, we need to upgrade our knowledge to suit our developing children and new environments. ‘Preschool teacher’ is definitely a profession, valuable and worthy of respect. In the chapter about teacher support low salaries, and high turn over are noted. This is a common problem in the U.S. now. In China teachers are well paid. (Of course, higher ed and university level are the best paid, like here.) There is a national teacher celebration day. Teachers are eligible for discounts at many different stores. Teacher is a respectable job. In order to have a high quality preschool, high quality teachers are needed, which means a high level of teacher respect and good pay as conditions. The book suggest some ways to support teachers, such as giving them freedom to practice their theories, better communication among staffs, and ample time for curriculum preparation. If I were a director, I would apply these suggestions in developing my program.

Overall, the book gives a good outline for how to run a quality preschool. It is easy to read, with many examples. It is handy and provides many forms for teacher to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment